Eliot Sorel is an innovative global health leader, educator, health systems performance expert, and a practicing physician. At the George Washington University, in Washington, DC, Dr. Sorel is a Senior Scholar in the Office of Clinical Practice Innovations in the School of Medicine, and the lead physician teaching Global Delivery – Health Systems and Global Mental Health. He is Clinical Professor of Global Health, Health Policy & Management and of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences. He is founder & chair of the Youth Democracy Forum at the Elliott School of International Affairs.
A practicing physician, Dr. Sorel works collaboratively with primary care and public health colleagues. The innovative, total health approach, a primary care, mental health & public health collaborative integrated model was initiated by Dr. Sorel in 2013 as a means of enhancing quality, access, and sustainability of care particularly as pertains to comorbid, non-communicable diseases that lead in the global burden of disease and disability.
Recent notable achievements:
- Dr. Sorel was sworn-in by Mayor Muriel Bowser as a member of the District of Columbia Health Exchange Information Policy Board on March 17th 2016.
- Dr. Sorel initiated and led the clinical public health research project on Depression & Comorbidity in Primary Care in China, India, Iran, Romania & Slovenia and the Global health systems performance comparisons between Africa, Asia/Pacific, Europe and the Americas.
- In June 2015, Dr. Sorel coauthored the WPA Bucharest Statement on Integrated Care & co-chaired the scientific committee of the WPA International Congress on Primary Care Mental Health: Innovations & Transdisciplinarity at the Palace of Parliament in Bucharest, ROMANIA.
- Current member of the Oversight Committee of the US Health Disparities Transdisciplinary Collaborative Center at the Satcher Health Leadership Institute with a focus on Non-communicable diseases in Region 4 of the United States.
- 21st Century Global Mental Health is the most recent of seven books edited by Dr. Sorel. His most recent publication is Total Health for All in the 21st Century.
- Dr. Sorel was honored with Doctor Honoris Causa by Carol Davila Medical University and by the Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania in October 2009 and in June 2014, respectively.
- The President of Romania decorated Dr. Sorel with the Star of Romania Order of Commander in January 2004.